Grandparent custody

Post and discuss legal documents of all kinds here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

veronica

Grandparent custody

Postby veronica » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:42 am

I am representing myself in court to get custody of my 4 grandchildren, does anybody know what forms are needed, or how to convince the judge they are better off with me... They have been with me since they were little babies...... :roll:
eager to know the truth..

Marina

Postby Marina » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:07 pm

Ask the court for the forms.

A review by Child Welfare will probably have to be done before the hearing

Also, a Guardian Ad Litim will probably be appointed for the children.

The social agency will probably have a standard form for asking questions.

Go to your state gov. site and find the kind of form people use when they apply to become foster parents or adoptive parents. They may have a form for guardianship also.

They will inquire about CPS clearance, background check, finances, employment, housing, health, education, transportation, domestic violence, other adults living in the home, substance abuse, prior involvement with the social agency such as food stamps, etc. They will want to know if you yourself were ever abused, in foster care, the vicitm of a crime, etc.

They automatically take this as an indication that you will abuse the children, so keep quiet on this stuff. Statistics show that children who were hurt grow up to hurt others. They take these statistics from people who have become involved in the social, mental health, or correctional systems, rather than from people who led normal lives, so get bad statistics.

fatherhermes

Re: Grandparent custody

Postby fatherhermes » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:07 pm

This is interesting information by Marina,

Although, in all states that is not how it works, namely the state that I am in. Here the Huvi courts side with CPS and the states attorney. If you can not afford an attorney then they appoint one to you and the attorney that yiou now have works hand in hand with the courts and CPS as well.

The main thing to remember is: "ANYONE CAN FILE AND ADD DOCUMENTS TO A CASE". They don't have to be a party to it they can be a friend.

And akll your forms can be found on the INTERNET through your local courts website. There are many forms that they won't make available to you.

Dazeemay

Postby Dazeemay » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:47 pm

In the state we were in only those involved in the case could do this. We tried friends and family and they refused the documents.
This is not legal advice;hopefully wisdom

To put it in simple terms…when the authorities ARE the perpetrators and the perpetrators ARE the authorities, there is no earthly justice or recourse, at the end of the day (unless the American people wake up).

Therefore, those who have achieved the highest levels of power seek to ‘enjoy’ the most grievous and extreme injustices. For many of those in the highest circles of power, the greatest statement of power is to perpetrate the greatest possible injustice…the savage, brutal traumatization and abuse of an innocent child.
http://themurkynews.blogspot.com/ MattTwoFour

"Ultimately, the law is only as good as the judge" --- D.X. Yue, 2005, in "law, reason and judicial fraud"
http://www.parentalrightsandjustice.com/index.cgi?ctype=Page;site_id=1;objid=45;curloc=Site:1

Marina

Postby Marina » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:33 pm

You can file again for custody.

You can file an appeal within the time-limit. This gets it out of juvenile court. The fee may be around $70.

braves

Postby braves » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:56 pm

I am a grandmother,too.
I went to law library looked up a form to guide my writing of a Motion to Intervene for Maternal Grandparent Visitation on February 22, 2011. Along with letters to all parties involved in the case in files that I gave to everyone. Important to attach a Certificate of Service with the Motion to Intervene which lists all parties who are notified of my position.
I had my documents notorized and time stamped by the 'Record Writers' in the court house. My Motion was sustained; however, The Attorney for the Juvenile Officer Amended my Petition by INTERLINEATION , WITHOUT OBJECTION. Is that 'double talk' and what exactly does this mean? However, I was able to get my foot in the door of this case involving my daughter and her childs father and my grandchild. It is a (CINC) CASE which means 'Child In Need of Care'....
Social workers and therapists have blocked me from having visitation with my granddaughter so far saying the 'therapists' for my granddaughter do not recommend visitation with me at this time. Next court hearing is June 22, 2011.
I live in kansas and the case is in Missouri's jurisdiction which complicates matters, too. So I also requested an ICPC (Interstate Compact for The Placement of Children) which is a lengthy process. I requested they do a Homestudy/Investigation of ME, too. My grandchild is in 'placement' with a baby-sitter at this time in Missouri. She has cyclic neutropenia..low white blood cells...which causes her to get sick often and must be properly cared for to keep her healthy. Her medical issues are supposedly being addressed by the forensic nurse on this case with follow up, blood tests etc. monitoring.
I have been kicked to the curb and want more clout. The best lawyer I know of to win in such cases has a retainer of 5,000.00. I am poor! Even Legal Aid...due to low funding...has turned me down. So, I have to represent myself and am struggling with what to do or not do....next.
My daughter is not cooperating with me very much even though I keep trying to help her.
What should be my next move. So far I have not been notified about the ICPC Homestudy on me, nor have I been allowed visitation. I have raised my granddaughter and am her phychological mother; although she surely love her mother, too. She is a very loving child...a real blessing and I miss her so much and know she is missing me. What a system! Can't dss and cps and the court do better than this? The case began in October 2010 and now here it is April 2011 already. I just pray that the people 'baby-sitting' placement is a decent and good enviroment for her and that she is not stuck with 'barbarians'....
I wonder how much money the state is getting for her and where it is going and to whom?
When I took care of my granddaughter I never asked for money from the state or the bio father (he is abusive).
My daughter kept bringing her child to me when she had to work and was going to school for a paralegal degree. The bio father kept putting obstacles in her way. I won't go into all the details. Guess, I have shared enough of my experience ongoing at this time.
What can we do? Educate ourselves, get organized and do SOMETHING, but do no harm. PRAY and ask our God and Savior to guide our every step. AMEN!

ElaineChange

Postby ElaineChange » Mon May 09, 2011 5:53 am

Somewhere in this site is a list of Kinship Care information. In Michigan you can do a POA for a relative to have Kinship Care authorization. Here is acopy of the form in Word, with instructions and the two page form at the end of the information:
http://www.diisd.org/Modules/DocumentCe ... 101207.doc
It must be notarized, both parents must sign. I'm told the Michigan form is accepted in all states, since it is in WORD, it could probably be modified by anyone to conform to their state, but this is for information only, and is not legal advice.

KMH

Postby KMH » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:16 pm

I'm in California. My daughter's children were removed from her home in July. One child went to foster care because his father couldn't be located. One went to his father who, although a negative influence in his life HAS been in his life through visitation. The third child went to his father who has been in his life a mere handful of days throughout the child's 6 years. In addition, he travels a great deal and the child has been in largely in the care of his father's aunt (so she is the child's great-aunt) since being placed with his father. This woman has not been investigated or approved for placement and CPS tells me that Dad can leave the child with whomever he chooses
I applied and was approved to take placement of the child in foster care. Now I'm hearing that the great-aunt is applying for kin placement of my grandson. I have applied as well and my questions are these--Does the great-aunt, virtually unknown to the child, have any right to placement over me just because the child was given to the dad by CPS? I know I'm in the category of "Preferential Consideration" for kin placement but is she as well? Also, how can I convince CPS that the child will be much better served by being with me since I've been a huge part of his life since he was born AND he'll be with one of his siblings? ANY help would be appreciated!

dejong33

Postby dejong33 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:51 pm

Can my grandparents be denied custody because of being to old or disabled?

Eljay

Postby Eljay » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:26 pm

dejong33 wrote:Can my grandparents be denied custody because of being to old or disabled?

If CPS doesn't like you they will deny custody because they don't like.... well, anything. Once CPS has legal custody, they can place anywhere and deny grandparents custody. They are supposed to place with family first, but they are lazy and there is not as much money in kinship care as foster care. If their age or disability prevents them from being able to care for a child, then they should not be caring for a child... that's just common sense. But if they are capable, they should absolutely be considered. If you piss them off, they will just make something up, "Oh, grandpa's background check showed a history" and then will put the child in foster care. Then you'll complain, ask why, say it's not true and they will lie some more, drag their feet and weeks or months later, claim that the child has "bonded" with the foster care family and shouldn't be moved. So, the only way to prevent/correct this is to either escalate it consistently (supervisor, manager, director, county supervisors, state DHS office, governor, etc.) or to file a petition with the judge to make CPS comply with the law.
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

amber82

Postby amber82 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:46 pm

Hello my name is amber Im going throw cps rite now my mom went to put her app for my 2kids she was approve then all of a sudden she wasnt cuz she owe a past due fine with the walfare from 2003 so there for now she cant get my kids..its that true please HELP!! Bakersfield,ca

Eljay

Postby Eljay » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:10 pm

Amber, she needs to apply to the COURT, not to CPS. This is the information and form:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/partners/docum ... 6-6-02.pdf
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

Return to “Legal Documents”