How we shut one worker up, after having ENOUGH!

Share news of your success stories and methods for victory to inspire those who come after you here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

CPSptsd

How we shut one worker up, after having ENOUGH!

Postby CPSptsd » Tue May 24, 2011 2:27 pm

Overall I would not say our entire "CPS story" was a success story. Overall and in the end they severely disrupted our family, caused permanent harm and damage to our daughter, and turned a happy, loving family into a traumatized, paranoid mess.

STILL, there were a couple small victories that I wanted to share.

In one instance, we dealt with a BS false report made by my spouses angry teenage son who had been grounded or punished and decided, due to psychological and emotional problems, to "get back" by calling CPS. :roll:

This was after the nightmare with our daughter and CPS helping her father legally kidnap her but I think it took place before we got her back home. Anyway that doesn't matter. Here's what happened:

CPS worker came to the house, threatened the 2 teen boys at home THROUGH THE WINDOW (knocking, yelling) of their bedrooms (because in order to get to the front door of the house you had to come in the gate and our dog was loose in the yard, big black lab, all bark but no bite but CW didn't know that)... got my spouse's son to come out and talked to her. Even though he had called himself and said there was no food at home, he went out and talked with her and told her he was fine, well fed, etc. My son had opened the gate long enough to tell her "My mom is not here, I'm not allowed to talk to strange people banging on my window, you can call her, here's her number" and slammed the gate on the caseworker, but spouse's son (loving attention) went out of the gate to have a chat with her.

Mind you this was around 4 in the afternoon and we'd left both older boys at home long enough to go to the grocery store. Younger was with us. Boys were both 14 or 15 at the time. No crime here.

But yeah, this worker told the boys that if they wouldn't come talk to her that she would "Call a judge" and they'd be "taken away"! Oh, this makes me furious just to remember it! Way to traumatize kids, evil harpie!

Okay so, on with the story, we end up meeting her at the CPS office to discuss the"allegations" of no food in the house. We show up at her office with 3 months' worth of grocery receipts totaling $600 a month on average. Obviously the 2 of us can't eat all that by ourselves! She photocopies these receipts and has nothing else to say about it. Plus she mentions seeing/speaking to spouse's son and how he was obviously "well fed" (at 14 years old and 5'10" and about 175 pounds!)... so she isn't making an issue about that... but she is fishing, fishing, and asking all kinds of other questions, very obviously digging up stuff about previous cases and false allegations made by a pissed off neighbor. We answer all those questions. She seems to be satisfied, and the "interview" seems to be ending, and we are about to leave. Literally as we are walking out the door of her office she turns and grabs a manila file folder on her desk and opens it and says "Oh yeah, I almost forgot, there were allegations of drug abuse too. Would you take a drug test?"

Pfffft. "Almost forgot"??? What kind of person protecting kids would "forget" that? I doubt it was even our file she grabbed. But whatever, we agreed and took the test that same day.

Didn't hear another word from her.... until almost exactly a MONTH later. We get a letter telling us that there was a "problem" with the 1st drug test and she needs us to go take another. What problem? Probably that she forgot to tamper with the first one to get the results she desired! We got this letter the day before we were set to leave town for winter break so we just ignored it. We came back a week or so later to an answering machine full of threats that we had better go re-do this drug test "or else" and by this date and time, which had long passed by the time we got back.

Obviously she didn't do what she was supposed to do within the time frame for investigating, she was scrambling for a justification for not closing out the case, and so she thought we'd be dumb enough to go back for a "re-test" (so we could then magically fail it!?) but she mistook us for naive, inexperienced parents and having already been down that road with CPS and drug testing before, we weren't playing.

After doing some research and asking some online contacts what to do, I decided to write her a letter. I sent it certified mail and I basically told her that as per her request, we'd both taken the drug test the SAME DAY she asked for it almost a month prior. I told her that we'd answered all her questions and cooperated fully, that we had provided sufficient proof that there was no concern about food in the house (or lack thereof), and that we'd done all she'd asked us to do. I pointed out that if she had some legitimate concern about the welfare of our children, then surely we should have heard from her in the past month. That had there been a legit problem with the drug test, we would have heard about that right away. That obviously there was no concern that our children were not being properly cared for or else she wouldn't have neglected to take action for so long. That we knew we'd passed our drug tests the first time and that there was no need to go through that again. That she should be closing our case, vs. going on a further "fishing expedition" and that we fully expected her to close the case out right away. Kthxbye.

And, we got a letter within 2 weeks, case closed, unsubstantiated.

So that was the end of her. I felt so afraid to mail that letter but so VINDICATED at the same time, when she close the case, because basically we called her on her BS and she backed down.

Now I don't know if we were just lucky or what, and please don't do this just because I did it because the details of your case might be different.

The other example of a success with CPS came at the end of the awful year our daughter was gone. And in this case, the worker was the same one who "took" her in the first place, but at this time she was realizing just how she'd screwed up. Basically we bombarded her with evidence over a period of weeks as to how awful the situation was with DD's father. We took photos constantly and emailed them to her. We recorded conversations with DD and played her comments about living with her Dad for the CW to hear first-hand. We saved threatening phone messages from DD's father and sent those to the CW. And we pestered the hell out of her, emailing and writing letters and calling and asking her to please verify receipt of everything. When she realized she'd taken a child from a happy home without court intervention, in violation of a custody order, and sent this child to live with her abusive/neglectful father, she changed her tune 100% . Too bad we didn't sue her in the end, I say.
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering." -- The Doctor

Trying123

Re: How we shut one worker up, after having ENOUGH!

Postby Trying123 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:33 pm

Just so you know "unsubstantiated" is not good to have on your record. That just means that child abuse did occur but they couldn't prove it. With "unsubstantiated" on your record, that means you cannot volunteer for a baseball coach, work in a school and so on. You need to have that changed to "unfounded" or "ruled out." Based on your story, it should have been unfounded or ruled out.

Trying123

Postby Trying123 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:34 pm

One more thing, for "unsubstantiated" cases, your name goes into a confidential data base of suspect.

Fang

Postby Fang » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi Tring123,
as you said the record, if I did nothing wrong, what I should ask for on the final court order, dismiss chips? or ask Judge to diminish the negative ligal impact? what are the final legal term to elimilate impact to us by the wrong-doing fron cps?

CPSptsd

Postby CPSptsd » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:55 pm

Trying123 wrote:Just so you know "unsubstantiated" is not good to have on your record. That just means that child abuse did occur but they couldn't prove it. With "unsubstantiated" on your record, that means you cannot volunteer for a baseball coach, work in a school and so on. You need to have that changed to "unfounded" or "ruled out." Based on your story, it should have been unfounded or ruled out.

I actually think I misspoke here and it was indeed "unfounded". I plan on checking the registry anyway to be sure, since my career plans have me hopefully working with kids.
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering." -- The Doctor

Fang

Postby Fang » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:22 am

where can you find out the registry?

Beatthescammers

Postby Beatthescammers » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:26 am

Google "child abuse registry" and the name of your state. The registry may be "private" unless you submit a name to check and pay the fee.

Daruma

Postby Daruma » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:49 pm

CPSptsd, I loved the part where you wrote the letter and sent it. That took some guts.

CPSptsd wrote:My son had opened the gate long enough to tell her "My mom is not here, I'm not allowed to talk to strange people banging on my window

CPSptsd wrote:We get a letter telling us that there was a "problem" with the 1st drug test and she needs us to go take another. What problem? Probably that she forgot to tamper with the first one to get the results she desired!

These made me laugh, even though I realize the situation was not at all funny.
These are my personal opinions only. They are not legal, medical, or financial advice.

strawberry

Postby strawberry » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:46 pm

One more thing, for "unsubstantiated" cases, your name goes into a confidential data base of suspect.

So, what does that mean? What can be done about it?

On Thursday I received a letter (after sending them one requesting my records after 3 months of hearing nothing from them and NOT letting them into my home) and the letter said "unsubstantiated" we will close the case (meaning it's still open). I think that's wrong because I did allow a law enforcement officer into my home to do his welfare check per CPS request. The officer told me there is nothing amiss and he'll request to CPS to drop the case (which they didn't).

I don't want to be in any kind of data base, and I do want copies of my records.

Thanks for any advise in this matter.

Blessings!
Strawberry

The greatest shackles we bear in this life are those forged by our own fears."

-Richard Paul Evans

Trying123

Postby Trying123 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:01 pm

Unsubstantiated means that child abuse did occur, but they weren't able to find out who did it! Therefore, CPS feels the suspect is still at large. If it would have come back unfounded, that would have meant that child abuse did not occur. With unsubstantiated on your record, that means if anything else comes up they will say "HMMMMM, it is happening again. If unfounded were the verdict then there would be no record. You need to get it changed to unfounded since they are obviousy idiots and were making the whole thing up. You don't want to be in the confidential database. Also, with unsubstantiated on your record you can't even be a team mom on any of your kids sport teams because you are still a suspect, they just couldn't prove it.

Trying123

Postby Trying123 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:04 pm

The third thing that could have come up would have been sustantiated. That means that child abuse did occur. People don't understand that "unfounded" is what needs to be determined and documented. Two doctor's in my area have told me that social workers can't see the big picture. They always assume there is child abuse and don't even think that another child could have abused another child. Because of their low intelligence level, they cannot rationalize effectively.

strawberry

Postby strawberry » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:34 pm

Thank you Trying.
What is your experience with this? Any thoughts on how to get this changed? Send another letter? Invite the CPS worker to court? I have no idea how these things work.

I have been told (be everyone who knows what is going on) to just let it be, after all I have the letter stating they are GOING to close the case and it's not founded. I don't feel right about this, I feel as you do, I need to get this changed.

Many thanks!
Strawberry

• "The essence of Government is power; and power, lodged as it must be in human hands, will ever be liable to abuse." ~ James Madison

Trying123

Postby Trying123 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:02 pm

I would start with the Congressman for your State. Right him/her a letter and tell them exactly what happened and how it was unfounded and misclassified as unsubstantiated. You can send them an email. Do you vote in your state? What state are you from? If you vote they will be more inclined to help you. They have a record of all the people who vote, but they don't know who you voted for. I would explain in the letter how this has caused concern in your neighborhood and you need his/her help to get this changed.

strawberry

Postby strawberry » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:42 pm

Trying,
I do vote. I wonder what they'll do for me? Unfortunatly I don't have much faith in the 'leaders' of our state (Oregon) because of where they are taking us and because of their bizzare behavior http://theweek.com/article/index/212374 ... suit-photo. I'll consider it. Have you done this?

Blessings!
Strawberry

Trying123

Postby Trying123 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:36 am

Not yet, but I intend to. I also plan to have a lot of people in my county sign it. However, without a lawyer, this is the first step you need to take to get it changed to unfounded. I would also ask for an investigation into the handling of your case.

jraehuff0

Postby jraehuff0 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:50 am

Trying123 wrote:One more thing, for "unsubstantiated" cases, your name goes into a confidential data base of suspect.

Really? Because in the State of Missouri unsubstantiated means not founded. My papers I've recieved state that it would not be on a public record, or any record for that matter. Just a file in a desk. :)

nealt

Postby nealt » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:32 pm

First timer...Looking forward to feed-back on what I feel my fiance has done that will have an effect on cps (dare to capitalize) reducing the budget....if one can read between the lines...good stuff to follow.

Question ..Ok, it's a given we all have a common bond here, I've yet come across anyone who has taken the next step and took cps to court and won. My oh my, reading the stories of the lost suffered from the hands of cps not only sadens my heart but absolutely boggles ny mind the amount of punitive damages that exists, as a direct result from this lower evolved organization.

Return to “Happy Endings”