CPS Case closed.

Share news of your success stories and methods for victory to inspire those who come after you here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

sricheso

CPS Case closed.

Postby sricheso » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:17 pm

On March 1st, my wife spanked our 11 year old daughter. The next day, she told her friend about it, who told a school staff member in the Gear-Up Program. This staff person met our daughter, told her she was "too old to get a spanking," and reported us to CPS.

Finally, today we received certified letters from the agency saying that the abuse allegations were "unfounded."

This is a tremendous relief.

Daruma

Re: CPS Case closed.

Postby Daruma » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:39 pm

Thank goodness, for once the system worked the way it is supposed to! Not that you should have been reported, of course, but that your case was so quickly ruled unfounded.

Now, depending on what state you're in, you need to know that your name may have been listed on your state's central child abuse registry. Yes, they report the names of people who are merely accused, even if they're not found guilty. If your name is on the list, you need to have it removed. Otherwise it could come back to haunt you in the future. For example, if another report is made to CPS, they will use the first report against you at that time. Also, you could be denied employment in certain fields if your name is on the list.

Select your state, then check "Review and Expunction of Central Registries and Reporting Records":
http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwide/ ... SearchForm
These are my personal opinions only. They are not legal, medical, or financial advice.

sricheso

Postby sricheso » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:09 pm

Thanks. I checked the site and it’s consistent with the information within the letter I received from CPS today. The complaint is kept in a computer system for six years and is then destroyed. They cannot provide the report info to anyone outside of their agency without our written permission. I am a college instructor and my wife is a high school teacher, so we hope that this won’t ruin our careers.

From start to finish, this case lasted 99 days. It's supposed to last 45 or 90 max. We were given no clear explanation for the delays.

We have been therapeutic foster parents for eight years. Foster parents are subject to even more stringent investigations and so we chose to resign. The foster-parent licensing coordinator accepted our resignation and wrote that she had determined that we were in violation of Washington Administrative Code 388-148-0505. She was unable to explain what specific section of that code we violated. I scheduled a meeting with her for next week to clear things up. I also called her supervisor and he said that it probably had something to do with potentially “frightening” our respite kids by using corporal punishment. That’s odd because we do not use corporal punishment when foster kids are in our home and use it rarely at other times. Anyway, he said that if we had not resigned, the WAC violation would have been corrected by simply having us review (again) the materials on “Love & Logic.” (That’s a department book/pamphlet on how to discipline children without spanking.)

strawberry

Postby strawberry » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:15 pm

sricheso,
What a GREAT blessing for you and your family! Our case has been going on 4 months!!!! I just got a letter last week from CPS saying they ARE GOING TO (meaning they haven't yet) close the case - as unable to determine (I didn't allow them into my home).

That said, I went to the registry and hit oregon and review and expunge - I didn't see where I could type my name in and see if I'm on their abuse registry.

Blessings!
Strawberry

Return to “Happy Endings”