Regarding monitored visits.

General chat area for anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

wiststar

Regarding monitored visits.

Postby wiststar » Thu May 14, 2015 3:12 pm

My child has gone to live with the father in another state, and the court has set that I visit them there one day of the month and they came back here to visit me. However both DCFS and my child’s father have expressed no interest in monitoring the visit and insisting I pay for a monitor to supervise the visit. I live on a fixed income, and driving to another state is already costly for me, so having to pay an agency there is not feasible. If both the father and DCFS are the ones who pushed that the visits take place in the other state, is it reasonable or even legal for them to make me pay for a monitor, since missing a visit will clearly be held agsint me in court even if ican’t aford to attend the visit

family_man

Re: Regarding monitored visits.

Postby family_man » Thu May 14, 2015 5:05 pm

Under the ICPC, CPS of the other state agrees to monitor the family while your state retains legal custody. I don't know why the other state couldn't also provide for monitored visits at one of their centers, although I don't think they're obligated to do so. It wouldn't hurt to inquire with the other state's CPS. They must have an open file on your case.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.

wiststar

Postby wiststar » Mon May 18, 2015 2:37 am

thank for you for the information

*Lady Liberty

Postby *Lady Liberty » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:39 pm

You can file a motion and show your income. That this is a financial hardship. They even do this is in custody disputes. There are many options, including sharing the costs, meeting half way, etc.

Typically this is just another way to inch you out of the children's lives. But you want to show that the financial hardship is putting a strain on the relationship that you wish to maintain.

Return to “Round Table”