CPS cases are about more than just the fate of the child

General chat area for anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Lysander

CPS cases are about more than just the fate of the child

Postby Lysander » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:50 am

CPS was set up allegedly to protect children, but now CPS cases are increasingly part of how the politically and culturally dominant elements of society enforce their norms, by using children as pawns in a fight against their parents. Society says, for instance, "Oh, you don't care about the threat of being locked up for a few days for smoking pot? How about if we threaten to take your kids away too? Maybe that will get you to finally shape up and stick to the legal drugs, such as alcohol and tobacco, whose use we approve of."

It's just another battleground in the culture wars. It's similar to how, when people disapprove of how someone else is living their life, they will sometimes call their employer and say, "Did you know you have an employee who does x, y, and z in his personal life?" E.g. I had a friend with anti-war sentiments who parked in the veterans-only space at Harris Teeter as a way of showing disrespect to the soldiers, since she felt it was wrong of them to sign up to fight whatever wars of aggression the government wants to initiate. Lots of angry citizens organized online to do something about this, and then called her workplace to complain about her behavior, even though it had nothing to do with her employer. (I guess they thought that would be a more effective way of deterring her than asking Harris Teeter to ban her from the property.)

If people have a personal beef with how you behave, or the opinions you express online, CPS is apparently yet another place they can complain to about it, and try to put you in fear of losing something you care about. In that way, they can try to control you. They can say, "A person who does x, y, and z should not have the privilege of raising kids because they're a bad influence" when really their interest is not in protecting your kids' well-being but in destroying YOUR well-being, because they don't want you to be too happy, if you're defying the will of the majority.

The result is that the stakes are much higher now if you want to engage in any kind of behavior that society (and especially those who wants to control others' lives) considers deviant. What's more, there's no statute of limitations on any youthful indiscretions you've committed, when it comes to CPS. The Virginia CPS manual, for instance, explicitly says that social workers should take parents' juvenile court records into consideration when assessing risk. If you're applying for a job, then often the application won't ask about misdemeanors from decades past. But CPS can and will consider them, in deciding your fitness to raise your kids.

Taking away a dissident's kids is also a way to discredit him, because people assume that the removal and termination of parental rights must have been based on reliable evidence that the person was a danger (even though there are few procedural safeguards against a miscarriage of justice in these cases). It's kind of like getting hit with a restraining order; it's a scarlet letter suggesting to the average person (and to judges in future court proceedings) that you're violent, unstable, etc. Once a court has ruled against someone in such a case, it becomes easier for that person to be ruled against in future cases, as noted here: http://restrainingorderabuse.com/2013/11/14/what-he-said-on-why-once-a-restraining-order-fraud-has-been-put-over-on-the-courts-it-sticks-like-pigeon-scat-on-a-car-hood/ It gets to a point where there's not much you can do but leave the country before the situation worsens much more.

trina513

Re: CPS cases are about more than just the fate of the child

Postby trina513 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:41 pm

They dont care about shit but the buck they make off of our children. More parents need to raise up against this and fight for the right of their children and this would not happened anymore. Cps = money for goverment

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:08 pm

Most parents won't believe false accusations happen until it happens to them. I've had young parents treat me hatefully for even mentioning it around them - because they are sure they are good parents this could never happen to. I learned to keep my mouth shut..... since they weren't open to listening. :?
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

family_man

Postby family_man » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:40 am

My troubles with CPS came a few weeks after a letter was published in my name in the local newspaper, strongly criticizing US involvement in the Iraq war. I can't prove there's any connection between the two, but it is a little suspicious.

As far as enforcing societal norms is concerned, when I was in the process of reunifying with my oldest son, who was 11, CPS felt that he and I should be more involved with sports. My caseworker said I needed to sign him up for some kind of team sports at this school. Although sports never really interested either of us, he and I followed orders, just not to rock the boat.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:04 pm

The letter in the newspaper could have been the reason. I've had bad things happen due to letters I wrote to editors.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:21 pm

LindaJM wrote:The letter in the newspaper could have been the reason. I've had bad things happen due to letters I wrote to editors.

So what do you think? Is it better to take a stand for what you believe is right, rather than stay silent for fear of reprisals from CPS?

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:39 pm

It varies from case to case. One can never say how they will react. People are different. Cases are different. There are no hard and fast rules about whether going to the media will be effective or harmful to the case.
Sample Document Library

Return to “Round Table”