Injury to a child while in cps care

A place to discuss the many medical issues that may come up during the course of a CPS case.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

JAAAAA-TEAM

Injury to a child while in cps care

Postby JAAAAA-TEAM » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:04 pm

My three yr. old son was brought to our visit today with 3rd degree burns on his little face. Not only was he burned, but the caregiver had the audacity to peel the blisters away. His face is extremely swollen and he doesn't look like my little boy. The hardest thing is I know he is in a lot of pain. I am not sure on how to go about this I want my children home!!!! Another bad thing about it; cps took him back to the home that this negligence occurred. Please if any attorney can help us or anyone that has advice that has been through something like this PLEASE help!!! I have never seen anything this bad without the person being in the hospital... this was supposedly caused by the sun... I am heartbroken and terrified of what else could and would happen with my babies in foster care. Please call Amanda at
[img][img][/img][/img] (361)220-1738 :cry:

Beatthescammers

Re: Injury to a child while in cps care

Postby Beatthescammers » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:52 pm

I would have a friend anonymously call CPS on a pay phone and report the 3rd degree blisters on my child's face and leave the date and time she saw them. Make certain that this date and time will not make you the guilty party. She could state that she saw them while your child was doing something where she was also located. Keep your name out of the report. Do you have a court appointed attorney? If so, talk to him/her immediately. Of course, CPS may do nothing.

If you see your child again with such injuries go to the ER try to take your child to the ER and make certain the doc knows that you did not allow the injury.

Daruma

Postby Daruma » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:40 pm

Will you be seeing your child again this week? If it's a supervised visit, CPS probably won't allow you to take your baby to the ER. But they can't keep you from calling an ambulance, if you believe the injuries need immediate treatment. They can't stop you from calling an ambulance, because it's a crime for anyone to interrupt a 911 call.

It's only fair to warn you that it will make CPS furious if you call for help, and they may retaliate against you. But it's a risk you might take if your baby is at risk of infection or lifelong scarring.

Did you take pictures of the injuries? You should always document any injuries your child receives in foster care. For an injury this serious, I would seriously consider reporting the foster mom to the police and showing them the photos. She either caused the injuries or was seriously negligent. How can the sun cause that? I lived in the Sun Belt when my baby was little, and neither my baby nor my friends' babies ever suffered blistering sunburns. That just doesn't happen unless the caregiver is truly negligent. If you have photos, and you know her name, please consider making a police report.
These are my personal opinions only. They are not legal, medical, or financial advice.

JAAAAA-TEAM

Postby JAAAAA-TEAM » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:40 pm

Thank you for the advice. My children's attorney has made sure there is an investigation from the incident and drawing up papers for an emergency hearing to get my babies home! I also have went and printed out before and after pictures of him and sending them with letters to the judges that were involved in their removal. After they are returned to us; I am not opposed to getting the media involved and writing Congressman. We have spoken with families and parents of children and are hopefully going to make people aware of the wrong doings of the department of family and protective services. What they are doing is despicable, snatching children from homes without evidence of abuse or neglect and placing them with negligent caregivers. It is sad when the district attorney, that is signing for these children to be taken, states "Most of these foster parents are doing it for the paycheck!" WOW!!! And he keeps on signing for the removal of our children!! What has this country 'Land of the Free' come to???? My husband and I have watched him sign papers; without reading them, all the while the cps worker is bragging right next to him with a colleage, " This is going to be the easiest removal I have ever done!" A shame we have to live in fear of our own government.
Amanda Marie

Daruma

Postby Daruma » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:01 am

It's great that you have an attorney who's being proactive. People would probably be shocked if they knew the extent of abuse and corruption that go on in the name of "protecting the children". Please keep us posted on how your case goes.
These are my personal opinions only. They are not legal, medical, or financial advice.

KDus

Postby KDus » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:34 pm

When my daughter showed up with burns on her arm, "from an accident", we took lots of pictures and my wife made a report.
She was moved a few days later.
Funny how that kind of stuff didn't happen at my home. Funny how it wasn't mentioned in the 6 month report.
You can make your own reports and file them with the court. There are 2 sides to the case.

monkette31

Postby monkette31 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:38 am

I love what Kdus said, there's two sides to the case...our sides NEVER get documented and unless you document them yourself and get them FILED, then none of this EVER HAPPENED. They will never document your side, ever, you have to do it and the attorneys out here (court appointed) will never help you either....

I really have to say that above, because IMO what they do is after a while, they act very nice and make you believe your children are coming home, what they are really doing is wasting time until the end, when they will or at the very least have the ability to terminate and keep your child.

Retaliation is a reality. Never think they won't. My case was going fine for 7 months until the very day I reported my son's numerous bruises on his back to the cps hotline out here....within an hour, my visits were cut to three times a month from three times per week.

and it didn't get better....dcfs did investigate his bruises and made them unfounded, i had pictures too. My only saving grace was a call from the "community care licensing" division which had been triggered by the hotline call. They had nothing to do with dcfs and was not under their thumb...they investigated the licensed foster home and took care of many of the problems in the home. I think you should find the similar organization in your county and call them just to be sure no other child has to endure this or something worse.
I'm not a lawyer but will try and help you any way i can. My postings may seem harsh but they all stem from personal experience with DCFS. I am not a victim and take responsibility for my part in my life, but I will always help ANYONE learn about the corrupt sick system.

monkette31

Postby monkette31 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:09 am

Here is the number to the community licensing org for corpus christie (called DFPS Inquiries and Complaints), looks like they handle complaints and their website looks similar to the one out here: http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Contact_Us/Inquiries_and_Complaints/default.asp

The main page is here: http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/child_care/local_child_care_licensing_offices/
I'm not a lawyer but will try and help you any way i can. My postings may seem harsh but they all stem from personal experience with DCFS. I am not a victim and take responsibility for my part in my life, but I will always help ANYONE learn about the corrupt sick system.

JAAAAA-TEAM

Postby JAAAAA-TEAM » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:27 am

Thank you so much Monkette for the info. We have gone through all possible routes we can. Now, we have to sit and worry, I hate being so defenseless when it comes to my babies. Wednesday we are going through with the contested hearing. It is absolutely ridiculous the explanation I received from the caseworker is that it was a learning process for the foster parents, they were going from dark skin to light skin. WHAT???????? Really??? It is common sense when a child is going to be in the sun use sunscreen and have the respect to not have children in the heat that long. No matter the skin color! Third degree burns on a three yr. old's face is unacceptable and inexcusable!! For the cps people to overlook this is outrageous, and to think if it was a biological parent they wouldn't think twice about removing the babies! So Wednesday Folks I will have an update and hopefully very good news!!

JAAAAA-TEAM

Postby JAAAAA-TEAM » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:18 am

Okay went to court yesterday and we WON!!!! :D it was amazing!!! So my little boys get to come home and now we still work are service plan and I give it another 30 days and my daughter will be home. God is truly good!!! My boys will be home at 1:00 p.m. Oh I can't wait!! We were also able to prove that the dfps was negligent in finding a home safe enough for our children, and now we can start our lawsuit of the Devearoux Fostering agency for the 2 neglectful homes are sons were placed in. I am just elated! :o :lol: I truly am the happiest mommy ever right now!! Thank yall for all the support we have been receiving from everyone on this website!! I will keep yall updated! :!:

Daruma

Postby Daruma » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:25 am

Now that's some good news! Thanks for updating us. How exciting that your boys will be home today! Give 'em a hug from me.

I wish you all the best with your lawsuit.

angelfrancisco1027

Postby angelfrancisco1027 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:39 pm

I need help please. My court hearing is getting close.after they detained my child from my custody.they let me see my child after 14days my child got a big scab to his face & my child told me the doctor said it was a sunburn.scab & sunburn are two different thing.
Pls I really need your help & now I'm meeting dcfs telling they need to meet to discuss about my child.but I'm afraid if I say something they might use that against me.& they need a report for the court regarding the last hearing.what should I do?

Return to “Medical Issues”