How does sleep apnea effect parenting?

A place to discuss the many medical issues that may come up during the course of a CPS case.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

broken_veteran

How does sleep apnea effect parenting?

Postby broken_veteran » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:24 pm

I was diagnosed with severed obstructed sleep apnea while I was in the army, it has been treated since then and I have been fine, however at the last meeting we had with cps I was told one of their concerns was sleep apnea I asked how is it a concern and they told me to stop ignoring the elaphant in the room and I need to grow up. I talked to the va about this. The va seemed pretty comfused (my doctor and counselor). It wasn't a concern until last month. Intialy Our whole investigation opened when my wife who suffered from parietal complex seizures was presbribed clonazepam after taking it for a few days she had some type of panic attack and went to my mothers house while I was at work and asked if she could watch our daughter. My mom who is not a good person at all started throwing names at my wife (crazy, retard). My wife attacked my mom and the police were called. My neighbor who hated us at the time because we were trying to turn in her friend (aka her drug dealer) to the police called cps and said that my wife pushed our daughter out of the way to to get to my mom.
I had to come home from work, as I arrived the police were talking to my spouse and calming her down while a ambulance arrived. They wanted a mental health evaluation on her. She went to the hospital and got her evaluation and nothing turned up. (She was sent home and told to get some rest and relax).
The next day cps shows up and puts my parents as a guardians without any legal paper work.

Alright so after this is all set and done, me and my spouse come to a understanding about this and think it might be a good idea until we can be sure that she can stay calm. We get her to a behavioral health clinic and afte a few visits she is diagnosed with bi polar disorder. Everything is good friend that end and after about a month we are given custudy of our children again. My wife then cheats on me 3 weeks later and 'm really upset. She calls a worker who actually became our friend for awhile to talk to me about it. Me and my wife didn't fight about this all I did was go to my room and shut the door the the worker showed up (this was about 12:00 a.m.). She talks to us and everything is fine. I go to bed and she sleeps on the couch. I get up and get a glass of water thinking she was asleep I muttered something that really upset her. She went outside the house and said she was going away. She started wigging out and I followed her and with our daughter in hand trying to see what is going on. A few drunk guys call the cops because they think I hit her. The cops show up and want to arrest me. To save myself I call the worker and she explained everything and the cop seemed to understand what is going on. CPS gets involved again the next day and says that either I have to be home or the kids go to my parents until I am home due to them thinking my spouse will run away. I can understand there concern there so I agree and I seek counseling for me and her. We work things out and then right before everything goes to normal my mom verbally assults us and for reasons unknow at the time (1 week later I found out it was something petty). She treatens to have our kids taken away permently and have me thrown in jail. I call our police friend to get a official statement that she said what she said. The next day I get a call from our case worker and she calls a emergency meeting. We then get put on weekly visitations. (our original agreement was we go to my parents house and visit). So we are going and we get sent to parenting classes. The worker that was our friend actually deffended that notion and stated what she observed on our parenting skills (she said we are doing a exceling job at parenting and I don't think classed are needed). Needless to say she got fired the next week.

Alright so we take the parenting classes (which are religious based and both of us are atheist), and then we complete the classes and the worker does not want to see the certificates of completion (she said she trust us and it is fine). We have a metting the following week and we are told that they have concerns about my wife being sleepy during the visit. (she was never tired during our visitations). She started drinking coffee after that to perk herself up even more and still they says she is too tired. I'm wide awake and kind of loud. Imagine a skinny penn jillete. We have our next meeting about 4 weeks later and they keeping saying my spouse is too tired even though her counselor was at a few visits to prove otherwise. I asked even If she is tired why not let them come home and treat this as if I were a single parent (I had to quit my job, luckily I am financialy secure all my bills and paid and I can provide all that is needed for my whole family). They told me no because I have sleep apnea. As I said before they besically told me to stop beating around the bush.

They hire a contractor to do in visit parenting mentoring, we are fine with this and the woman does not have any idea what the case worker is talking about, she hasn't showed up since. I asked our case worker if she could name anything I am doing wrong. She literly rolled her eyes at me and told me stop plaing games with her. Today at our latest visit they accused me of being filty. I am the type of person who showers after they eat fast food, I clean before fun and I wash my hands over 20 times a day. I'm so confused and they are giving us one more month before the cours are involved. I have been so nervous about this today I have not stopped shaking since I left the visit.

I am located in st francis county, mo
(I apologize if this is a big mess I'm just so nervous right now).

broken_veteran

Re: How does sleep apnea effect parenting?

Postby broken_veteran » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:31 pm

Also another crazy thing is I was going to start college in february but now i can't because they told me there is not way you can take care of a family and go to college at the same time. Also they think my spouse has potential for abuse because her mother was abusive (they said that poeple that are abused will abuse their children). She is currently not aloud to contact her mom.

I forgot to mention that initial abuse charges were drop due to lack of evidece and the fact that the person who called in is not aloud to make reports to cps anymore.

Beatthescammers

Re: How does sleep apnea effect parenting?

Postby Beatthescammers » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:02 pm

If it wasn't sleep apnea, CPS would find or create another ridiculous issue. Their "job" is to find anything they can and make it look like bad parenting so they can remove your children (for which they are reimbursed by Federal funds) and put them into foster care. Stop chit chatting with CPS and the contractor. Tell them the bare minimum so they cannot find a single problem to lie about or blow out of proportion. They are not your friends and are hoping you will say something they can use against you.

Your wife and you must keep any arguments inside your home and avoid people that are disagreeable or those who will call the police. Every time the police make a visit to your home, it is documented and CPS will use it to take your child. Don't sign any forms allowing CPS permission to dig through your medical records. Don't take any drug tests unless they are court ordered. Do not tell your family about any problems you are having or your child. If your child becomes ill, take him immediately to the pediatrician's office or this will be used against you even if your child has a slight cough. Stay out of emergency rooms because the doctor in there doesn't know your parenting abilities and any bruise on your child can be thought to be from abuse. Tell CPS that everything is perfect in your life and keep your home immaculately clean. Make CPS become very, very bored with visiting your home by not providing them with anything which they can twisted into something negative.

Return to “Medical Issues”