how to retract my hippa

A place to discuss the many medical issues that may come up during the course of a CPS case.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

shannon48183

how to retract my hippa

Postby shannon48183 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:38 pm

i heard that u can revoke your hippa privacy act from cps even after they cohered us into signing a release form. its been almost a year now! and the ombudsmen's office said you are allowed to revoke at anytime. if true how do I do it?

Eljay

Re: how to retract my hippa

Postby Eljay » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:59 pm

The HIPAA laws/rules apply to your medical providers. They are the ones with the information and they are the ones would would grant and/or deny access. Each doctor/hospital/medical group usually provides their own forms. You would need to contact your doctor/therapist/etc. and get the forms from them. In a pinch, you can also make up your own form or letter that says something to the effect of,

"I, Mary Smith, immediately revoke all consent to release my medical records effective immediately. Any requests for records should be denied without my express written consent on any future requests."

CPS people are going to shove a "blanket" release form at you while you're in the middle of panic having your child taken from you. You probably signed something that had NONE of the information filled in and they are filling in the blanks for your different doctors, different dates, etc. If/when you DO any future medical releases, you will want to be very specific about exactly what/when/how you are consenting to be released. For example,

"I, Mary Smith, authorize Dr. Shrink to discuss his assessment of my parenting skills with Peggy Slocum, social worker from Lackawanna County CPS. I agree to a written communication between the parties if, and ONLY if, a copy of each communication is sent to me. The dates of treatment to be released are from June 1, 2011 through July 31, 2012. This consent for release is effective today, June 26th, 2012 and expires on August 31, 2012."

You will want to protect your privacy and ensure that they have only what they need and nothing more than they need.
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

Return to “Medical Issues”