using my mental health against me! please help us

A place to discuss the many medical issues that may come up during the course of a CPS case.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

bjoersz12

using my mental health against me! please help us

Postby bjoersz12 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:12 am

My name is Bonnie , I am 25 years of age and here's my story:

I had my beautiful daughter Kathryn Scarlett Gregory on March 12, 2014 at 11:01 am. 7pounds, 12 ounces. Ten toes ten fingers gorgeous as ever. CPS was called to investigate, because of Marijuana found in her stool. I told Kioshyi fish that I didn't know I was pregnant and when I found out I quit right away, and haven't smoked marijuana since. I told him about my husband's eye disease and how he was going blind, and he said he would be right back and dropped the case. Just did a home visit and that was that.

I have been going to Choices Network since 2012. A mental health clinic in phoenix, Arizona. Located off of 51st ave and McDowell. Since my pregnancy the psychiatrist Dr. Vellobos has denied me depression medication or even a referral to someone who is active and knowledgeable in that field for pregnancy. After my pregnancy she told me "she can't help me because she isn't trained in the pregnancy field" so she couldn't help me with the medications I needed ( I was also breastfeeding which I couldn't take pills when I was breastfeeding.) So she still couldn't refer me to another doctor related to the field I needed. She also told me that I am doing fine without the medications and she doesn't think I need them. ( which I forgot to mention to cps and I have a new caseworker who didn't know me at all) So I haven't gone to see my mental health doctor, Dr. Vellobos except one time after I had Kathryn. I haven't gone to Choices in a while because I knew im doing fine. I don't think my past diagnosis are correct. I haven't had a proper diagnosis since June 2013. Recently I went to Choices network on Monday 10th, 2014 and I tell them about my post partum depression and the first thing they tell me is " We are contacting CPS". Me being a new mother is terrified because I hear all the negative things about CPS. So they also ask for an example and I tell them " I hear voices that tell me to throw my daughter off the balcony. And I don't like those feelings im here for help. I love my daughter and would never ever hurt HER EVER". That was Monday November 10th. I didn't hear from the cps worker until Friday November 14th, which by the way they had stated in the meeting that they couldn't get a hold of me since Monday, and I was ignoring them when my friend stayed with me that Monday and Tuesday at myt house then we went to her house wensday and Thursday and cps called me Friday.. I was talking to pat at Choices Network she tells me the cps worker is on the other line and she will call me back. The cps worker calls five mins later and tells me "hes coming over now to come talk to me" Kioshyi fish comes into my apartment and makes me feel like a bad mom like im going to hurt my baby. The first thing he tells me after I explain whats going on is I need to find a safety monitor, I couldn't find a safety monitor and he told me hes going to have to take my child. He didn't explain why he put neglect on the paper, and I didn't see the word neglect until after I signed it and told him to get out of my house I don't like how you are coming off towards me making me feel like im going to hurt my child. I try to call his supervisor but she didn't listen to me at all. She was talking over me and basically telling me this is what is going to happen. " we are taking your child" The cps worker comes back with police and tells me we are taking your child. My pastor Micheal salamon comes up and fights with the police saying this isn't the right paperwork, go get the right paperwork and come get the child the right way. My friend Rachel burris was on speaker the whole time running to my apartment from surprise. A sergeant from the phoenix police department comes into my home and tells me that's the right paper..even though it says there is no caregiver to take care of the child, when I am the mother that takes care of the child every single day. 2 hours of arguing with the police goes by and finally they tell me we don't want to use force . MY pastor takes Kathryn from me and I didn't hand over my daughter to cps this was invoulinatry. They tell me I have a team descion meeting on Monday at 3.

On Monday November 17th, 2014 at 3pm. My support team comes and cps is there. We talked about why they put Neglect on the paper. They told me that having a mental health problem and not taking care of the mental health issue was neglect. In the meeting I didn't think about this till after but I told you early in this message I thought I was fine until recently that's why I went to my doctor on Monday for help with my post partum and they didn't help me they tore my daughter from my arms and is hurting me and my daughter. And my pastor and his wife, my mom , my best friend of five years and my sister in law destiny, all agreed saying im doing the best I can with working, coming home cleaning, taking care of the baby and myself plus a disabled finacee that is loosing his sight and taking care of myself. Basically I have a lot on my plate and they felt like it was too much for me to handle. They told me that I need to get another psych evaluation because my updated psych evaluation was in june 2013. It was wrong for what cps did I asked for help with my post partum depression and they bring up my mental health issues. I had no choice in the meeting so I thanked them for their help and keeping my daughter safe. In the meeting they said I could bring her home I just needed a safety monitor but no one in the room had a clean background. I was told cps was supposed to help me with a safety monitor if I couldn't.. they did not. They haven't even called me for the visists im supposed to get twice a week yet today is November 20th 2014. They told me a court date is going to be set up.

So I didn't read the cps handbook until one of the ladies on this post partum group online told me it was wrong for them to use my mental health as neglect because it doesn't say it in the handbook. I have talked to multiple sources and am getting help with my post partum and in getting my daughter back. I am reaching out because this is wrong. They have no right in taking my daughter over my mental health. I am a responsible mother and if I needed help I would go seek it out like I did for my post partum. I feel discriminated for them using my disability against me. I know I have had a case in the past but it is dropped. They had no right coming into my home and ripping her from me when I asked help with my post partum depression. They wrote neglect instead of post partum, that doesn't make sense to me.. I asked help with my post partum, the cps worker comes in and didn't even explain why he put neglect and took my daughter. This is wrong I am suffering from post partum depression and they took my daughter from me which is making my post partum despression worse. They didn't give me any resources in post partum help. They used my mental health against me and told me I need a proper diagnosis. This is discrimination. Its hard to find a lawyer that will fight cps, I am looking high and low and have support from a lot of mothers online and am still going to get a lot more support.

I hope that this letter has touched someone and is willing to stand up for what is right.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Bonnie

I don't have money for an attorney.. I found out they don't state issue a attorney for the case.

family_man

Re: using my mental health against me! please help us

Postby family_man » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:23 pm

Two things popped into my mind as I was reading your story. The first is that you should be entitled to a court-appointed attorney to represent your interests in this case. This is standard procedure whenever a child is taken into state custody.

The second thing is that CPS is most concerned not about actual neglect (which didn't occur) or about post-partum depression, which is common in millions of new mothers. It is your statement, "I hear voices that tell me to throw my daughter off the balcony. And I don't like those feelings. I'm here for help. I love my daughter and would never ever hurt HER EVER." This is a symptom of schizophrenic psychosis, a serious mental illness, that could very well impair your parenting ability and put your baby at a substantial risk of harm if left untreated. If this statement is true, and you do hear such voices, then CPS is absolutely correct in taking your baby into their custody while you get the help you need (medication and counseling) to overcome this condition.

If this statement is not true, and you never hear such voices, then you need to get a full psychiatric exam from a qualified MD stating that you cannot be diagnosed with schizophrenia. It may take some effort to convince CPS of this fact, even with a statement from your doctor, but it is doable.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.

bjoersz12

Postby bjoersz12 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:54 am

It is normal with post partum depression to have those symptoms. I am not a schizophrenia. I have spoke with many women. I have also spoke with post partum international, they informed me that I have post partum ocd not post partum psychosis. Two are very different. I think they had no right taking her from me. Post partum ocd means that I am no threat to my child. I have to go right now but will talk more later

family_man

Postby family_man » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:15 pm

I was not aware that your symptom of voices could be caused by post-partum ocd. Not being a psychiatrist or having researched the matter myself, let us assume this is true. Certainly you cannot expect CPS social workers to be able to make this distinction, either. Your whole case hinges on expert witnesses who are trained to diagnose your condition, and who are willing to testify that it poses no danger to your baby. CPS is very unlikely to admit it made a mistake in taking your baby. The only way you can prevail along your current path is to hire an expensive private attorney who believes in your ability to win your case based on its merits, and to hire expensive expert witnesses who will testify on your behalf in court. If you cannot afford to do this, you have several options:

1) Go along with the treatment plan that CPS comes up with. Unfortunately, this may involve having to take anti-psychotic drugs which you may not need and which actually may be harmful to you.

2) Recant your statement that you hear voices telling you to harm your baby. Deny that you ever have them. Produce written diagnoses that you have OCD, and not psychosis. Maybe CPS will allow you to reunite without the anti-psychotic drugs.

3) Prepare to give your baby up for adoption.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.

Star76

Postby Star76 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:36 pm

I would like for parents to understand that yes you are entitled to a COURT APPOINTED ATTORNEY. They are nothing more then a PUBLIC DEFENDER. They are paid by the state as well and in my experience of what I am going through right now is that my COURT APPOINTED ATTORNEY is NOT here to help me and my children. He has since this began refused to bring things up in court that I feel are highly important to my case. Things such as ... Social worker does NOT return my calls, emails, messes up my visitation, is late to my visits. My worker has done absolutely NOTHING at all to help me with the areas that I needed help with. Because of that my kids have been in the system going on 2 years now and they are telling me that REUNIFICATION with me is NO longer an option. They took my 4 hrs a week unsupervised visits away from me because they say that having my visit in a PUBLIC FAMILY PARK which is right next to the town police department is not a suitable place for my visits because people that come there have criminal records.
My children were not taken from me because I abused them (mentally, physically, emotionally), or neglected them ... my children were taken from me because I lost my job, and became homeless. I went to DSS for help getting into one of their Transitional Housing programs and was denied and turned away on three different occasions. I had NO family that could or was willing to help me by taking my kids until I was back on my feet. So, almost two years later here I am still fighting for my kids.

wehaveavoice

Postby wehaveavoice » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:04 am

Cps is using my mental health against me too. I was a foster child from the time that I was 11 up until I was 19 yrs old. I was sexually abused my a bf my mom had and I was put in foster care. I have ever since suffered from depression and anxiety at time, but I've taken a lot of counseling. I told the social worker that I didn't feel that way anymore and I haven't been going to counseling since last year because I didn't need it. I told her I was doing good going to school and working. So this skimming witch put on my report that there was a "concern for my mental health"???? Why is this a concern when I'm getting my life together on my own and I have been going through counseling since I was a teenager? I'm afraid they're going to make me take a mental evaluation or try to use these things against me which I know they're going to. I would like any suggestions please. I don't know what to do. The pain is too great. I need help.

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:11 pm

Wehaveavoice, have you already been to court and has the judge (or referee) given you a court ordered service plan?

FYI - almost everyone who goes through a CPS interference in their lives will have the following in their service plans: a psychological evaluation, counseling/therapy, parenting classes, and possibly drug testing as well. They do this - not because of your mental health history - but because they are (1) collecting more evidence on you through these activities, and (2) providing employment to these "service providers" with Title IV-E Social Security federal funding. There's a huge industry being fed by a constant process of forcing parents through CPS hell. So if you're ordered into these things, it isn't because they're singling you out.

If you haven't signed a guilty plea in court, keep in mind that instead you can ask for a trial. Some lawyers don't make that clear to their clients, sorry to say... because, perhaps, they don't want to be bothered with a trial or because they sincerely believe their clients will lose in a trial. If you don't insist on the trial option, every bad, untrue thing the social worker writes about you (true or false) in the court report, will be taken as a fact.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:23 pm

This reminds me of the case I currently have pending. They wrote, with regard to my ex-wife, "On May 21, 2015, DHS received a report indicating that Respondent Finn: had been actively suicidal for the past two weeks, was hearing voices telling Respondent Finn to hurt or kill the Child, and is not currently on any medication, placing the welfare of the Child at risk". She had a history of psychotic depression, among many other disorders, and once wrote, "I do have voices in my head, but I believe these voices are spirits." They took the child away, and she killed herself before the case went to adjudication. The child remains in legal limbo at the moment.

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:43 am

Lysander, I remember what you wrote in your comment. I'm so sorry for the loss of your ex-wife and now, the problem with custody of your child. Have you been able to talk to her parents about it?
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:33 pm

LindaJM wrote:Lysander, I remember what you wrote in your comment. I'm so sorry for the loss of your ex-wife and now, the problem with custody of your child. Have you been able to talk to her parents about it?

The last contact I had with her parents was when I wrote a lengthy letter to them describing my views about the relationship and what had gone wrong and why, and saying I was ready to cooperate with a divorce. They called the police and my mother and asked them to tell me not to contact them again. Shortly after that, my wife obtained a restraining order. I guess what was most inflammatory about my letter was that I mentioned I'd been in touch with an ex of my wife, whom she also had a restraining order against. Also, I attributed the relationship's demise mostly to her borderline personality disorder.

After I heard she'd died, I asked my mom to get in touch with them to see what they wanted to do with the child. They told her they wanted to adopt her, but that they thought it would be beneficial if I had some form of visitation with her, given the outcome of my wife's experience being adopted and not having any contact with her birth mother. My mom described them as "conciliatory". It wasn't a long phone conversation, and we've heard nothing since.

Return to “Medical Issues”