Do judges follow court-ordered shrinks' recommendations?

A place to discuss the many medical issues that may come up during the course of a CPS case.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Lysander

Do judges follow court-ordered shrinks' recommendations?

Postby Lysander » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:57 pm

If a court-ordered psychologist recommends that I not be allowed unsupervised contact with my kid, will the judge probably follow that recommendation?

LindaJM

Re: Do judges follow court-ordered shrinks' recommendations?

Postby LindaJM » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:35 pm

Probably they'd follow that recommendation, unless you had psychologists on your side of the courtroom saying the opposite.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:08 am

LindaJM wrote:Probably they'd follow that recommendation, unless you had psychologists on your side of the courtroom saying the opposite.

So basically, unless you're prepared to spend a bunch of money, you're out of luck. Sometimes it seems like the dependency and neglect system is basically a way of fining you for being a bad parent.

lburke6475

Postby lburke6475 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:05 pm

In my history with Cps and courts(judges), yes-a judge will look to the “expert” or the health care professional who can both evaluate and interpret the results. This is only what happened in my situation. Therefore, to have the evaluator, the psychiatrist be one not “paid for by Cps”, the chances of receiving fair evals as well as results are more likely.
If possible, use your own insurance or pay yourself. Find someone “without a contract” with CPS.

SnowBall

Postby SnowBall » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:11 pm

I had a friend who had a CPS psych eval. It came back with a diagnosis different from he past and current Psychiatrist.

I just don't think that a doctor who sees you over a couple weeks can give a diagnosis. They are just making a guess. A Psychiatrist who works with a patient, gives medication, then evaluated, then makes adjustments, then evaluates and so on for many months or years.

If I were you, I would go to your own doctor. Explain your issues or at least the court ordered diagnosis. See if your doctor thinks you should be treated. And go with that.

Return to “Medical Issues”