Page 1 of 1

Human Rights Commission/ Violations

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:57 am
by Frustrated
You can sue anyone for Human Rights Violations in your State:
Just google Human Rights Commission plus your State and you will find information on how to apply for any violations that you may have with some one. You can call the 800 number toll free number to Human Rights Commission and they will mail the application for you to fill out and mail the paperwork back to Human Rights Commission.

Under Human Rights Code, you can file for discrimination acting on a prejudice that results in unequal treatment of a person or group of persons because of their sex, age, race and so on.

Grounds of Discrimination:

The Code only covers unequal treatment because of your:

Age, Ancestry, Citizenship, Colour, Creed (Religion), Ethnic Origin, Family Status, Disability or perceived disability, Marital Status, Place of Origin (where one was born), Race, Same-Sex Partnership Status, Sex (includes Pregnancy and Gender Identity), Sexual Orientation, Record of Offences (in employment only), and Receipt of Public Assistance (in housing/accommodation only).

Social Areas of Protection:

The unequal treatment may occur in:

SERVICES, GOODS AND FACILITIES: for example, stores, shops, restaurants, hopsitals, schools, public transit)

ACCOMMODATION: for example , places where people live, whether rented or owned)

CONTRACTS: for example, oral or written agreements)

EMPLOYMENT: for example, advertisments, application forms, job interviews, and promotions)

MEMBERSHIP IN TRADE OR VOCATIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND UNIONS: for example, CUPE, Law society, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Nurses' Association)

The Code also prohibits sexual soliciations or advances made by a person who can grant or deny a benefit (a promotion, a higher grade in school) or reprisal because some one resisted or refused the solicitation or advance.

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:03 pm
by Frustrated
More information on defintion of Disability or perceived disability---

a) Any degree of physical disability, infirmity, malformation or disfigurement that is caused by bodily injury, birth defect or illness and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, includes diabetes mellitus, epilepsy, a brain injury, any degree of paralysis, amputation, lack of physical co-ordination, blindness or visual impediment, deafness or hearing impediment, muteness or speech impediment, or physical reliance on a guide dog or other animal or on a wheelchair or other remedial applicance or device.

b) A condition of mental impairment or a developmental disability

c) A Learning disability, or a dysfunction in one or more of the processess involved in understanding or using symbols or spoken language

d) A Mental Disorder

e) An injury or disability for which benefits were claimed or received under the insurance plan established under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act (handicap).

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:06 pm
by Frustrated
You can file Human Rights Violations based on:

Family Status which means being in a Parent and Child Relationship.

Also Harrassment which means engaging in a course of vexatious comment or conduct that is know or ought reasonably to be known to be unwelcome.

Also can use Marital Status: The status of being married, single, widowed, divorced, or seperated and includes the status of living with a person in a conjugal relationship outside marriage.