Upset family member called CPS

Newcomers, please post something to let us know who you are and if you have an open case, you can post about it here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:30 am

Upset family member called CPS

Postby tweed » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:40 am

I am new here and very upset. I am a mother of 4, 2 live with me and 2 have moved. Of the 2 that are still at home they are 14 and 16 boy and girl. I have a cousin for some reason has taking a liking to my 16 yr old daughter. They spend a lot of time together and my cousin wants her to live with her and her husband. They have NO children of their own and are quite well to do where I am disabled and do the best I can. I have never hit or abused my children, I don't even believe in raising my voice to them, as I was abused when I was a child. My cousin is upset with me because I have limited time between her and my daughter so she has called CPS and made some very untruthfull statements about me and they came for a visit and spoke with my children in school. I was accused of using drugs (which the CPS woman had a drug test with her and I took it) they looked at my home and I keep a very clean home. badgered me with questions of who I talk to and when and why and even went as far as counting my medication and wrote it all down. I have not done anything nowr are my children abused or neglected. I feel violated and I am very angry. How do I keep these family members away from my children without causing more problems with CPS? If I keep my kids away they will continue to call and it is very scary.

Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:30 am

Re: Upset family member called CPS

Postby tweed » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:44 am

I forgot to say that I am in Michigan if that helps any.

Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:56 am

Re: Upset family member called CPS

Postby HappeeBee » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:55 am

My mom and stepdad did this to my husband and I. They have lied and harassed us and dabbled in our family business and have talked bad about our parenting skills (we're not perfect but we're not WORSE either!).

I don't know what the laws in your state are-might want to look them up-but here in Florida making a false report of abuse (trying to slander, harm, or embarrass someone or obtain custody) is a third degree felony and punishable up to five years in prison. Each call made will be a seperate charge.

I would speak to a lawyer and press charges and file a No Contact Order. If they violate that they will be arrested. You are the parent and have every right to choose who your children spend time with (wither your reasons be sensible or crazy!). Period. Seemsto me this relative has no respect for boundries.

I would speak to a lawyer asap and start documenting right away.

Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:21 am

Re: Upset family member called CPS

Postby WhiteHaven » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:15 pm

My sister did this to my wife and I as well. First call was back in 2009 claiming my son didn't see a doctor despite the fact he had a dr apt the very next week and we were giving our daughter lithium when no one in the house even took lithium! She did it simply because I think her life choices are disgusting and I want nothing to do with her her husband or her children. She is vindictive and pissed off because I refuse to let my kids play with hers.It is pretty pathetic my own folks don't even care that she did it which is why we are moving out of state next year and that crazy pyscho will not know where we are.

Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:43 am

Re: Upset family member called CPS

Postby mamalion » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:19 pm

they can make you do a drug test at your house? and ask for your meds? WTF???

Sometimes I read stuf on here and it makes our social worker seem nice and that is really really hard to even imagine out of context!

Posts: 259
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Upset family member called CPS

Postby Beatthescammers » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:08 pm

Did you sign any of CPS's paperwork agreeing to participate in a service plan or "free services for you or your daughter"?

If you didn't sign any of this evil bs, DON'T SIGN IT. Stop cooperating with CPS. They WILL eventually find something to take your child if you keep talking to them, letting them see your medicines, and taking drug tests. Tell CPS you will NOT sign their service plan and they are going to have to take you in front of a judge from now on. This is the only way out of CPS getting involved in yours and your child's life for years.

There is NO guarantee that if CPS takes your daughter that CPS will let her live with your cousin. CPS may put her in a group home or with foster parents and there will be nothing your cousin can do either to stop this. It might be prudent for you to tell another family member to tell your cousin that if she does succeed in getting your daughter removed, there is no guarantee that CPS will place your daughter with her.

Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:57 am

Re: Upset family member called CPS

Postby kalijen77 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:17 am

I have been fighting CPS since March 18th. Let me first begin by saying - DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!! Keep a log of all phone calls, no matter how minor. Keep a log of all phone conversations and what took place during those conversations. Keep copies of your phone records and any signed documents. If they ask you to sign something, make sure you get a copy at the time of signing. DO NOT answer opened ended questions. Anything you say can and will be twisted. Get your caseworkers email address and have all your contact go thru email so you can provide documentation as to what you said. Save any voicemails recieved by your caseworker. If you are asked a question tell them you are not sure what they are asking can they be a little more clearer - even if you know what they are asking - make sure the questions they are asking will require you to provide a clear answer that can not be twisted. Take your time.
If you do not sign their safety and service plans - they will take you to court. You have to decide if that is the route you want to go. Bottom line is if you do not sign these so called "voluntary" agreements - you will find yourself in court!
Do not tell CPS workers that you have been abused in the past. They will use this against you, (abusers often repeat the cycle). Do not tell them anything about you.
I would get a lawyer and tell you Caseworker that you are willing to cooperate with their investigation - however you would like to have your lawyer present. You always want to show you are cooperating. Anytime you do not agree with them you will be labeled as uncooperative - so make sure you clearly say over and over again that you are willing to cooperate (even if you don;t agree) and tell them you would like to first discuss with your lawyer.
Good Luck.

Return to “Newcomers - Welcome to the site - please sign in here”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests